For most of my life, the down pillows are always durable, moldable, soft and warm companions during my sleep. According to the consumer reports, these duck down pillow and synthetic down pillow have gained an excellent reputation for their flexibility and comfort for side sleepers, for back sleepers, for neck pain people or in a nutshell, for all sleeping positions. On account of these unusual characteristics, there are a plenty of bedding stuff manufacturers who claim that their pillows are the best while their products suck. Therefore, I wrote this article to instruct you the complete guide on how to choose the best down pillows for your family and avoid scammers
The down pillows buying guide
Depending which type of sleeper you are, side sleeper needs a thicker Pillow, stomach sleeper need a thinner pillow and back sleeper will fall somewhere in between. The rule of thumb is that your neck should be aligned with your spine in a neutral position
For those who hates the unpleasant feeling of waking up in a sweat. The ventilation of your pillow, as well as its cover, plays an important role. Thinner shredded foam layer will stay cooler during the night.
Actually, this characteristic is necessary for those who suffer from allergies. Most of the pillow materials like goose down or natural rubber latex can’t be washed. The only way to maintain the hygiene is to clean their covers. Otherwise, the synthetic materials are quickly freshened by the washing machine
Returnable or money back guarantee policy is a feature of the high-end pillow. It’s a great opportunity for you to try the over-budget pillow for a few nights before purchasing the right one
Suitable for your bed size:
In United States, there are three typical sizes of pillows which are standard (20×26’), queen (20×30’) and King size (20×36’). These pillows are produced for the three kinds of beds with the similar names. Additionally, it’s necessary to take the pillowcase size into consideration. Because you will probably spend more when purchasing the odd-shaped pillows.
To preclude from allergies by the dander and other allergens. However, these well-cleaned pillows are often pricier than the usual one. For those with a tight budget, pillows with filling made of polyester, alternative down or gel are your right choice.
Top 8 Down Pillow Reviews
1. For Side Sleepers: Coop Home Goods Pillow
As I mentioned above, the best down or down alternative pillows for side sleepers should be able to fill the gap between the head and the bed and therefore, reduce the physical pressure on the back, shoulder, and neck. Simply put, the pillow should be thick enough to keep your spine straight.
Otherwise, the wrong pillow can lead to the bend of your neck, or worse, headaches, back pain, arms or legs tingling, sciatica…
For those reasons, when looking for a pillow for side sleeping, make sure to choose the thickest pillows which suit the distance between your neck and the bed. Simply put, the pillows’ thickness should be equal to your shoulder length.
Among thousands of down pillow producers available, we are proud of the Shredded Memory Foam Pillow from Bamboo by Coop Home Goods.
This best down alternative pillow for side sleepers are soft and plush enough to give you the feelings of a high-quality resort bed. Here is the list of unique features that makes this pillow undefeatable and long standing on the market
- Hopefully, these pillows are not made in China. The USA has gained a massively good reputation for manufacturing high-end, heavy-duty, long-standing and extraordinary products in general and bedding stuff in particular.
- 100% CertiPure-US Certified Memory Foam: You can now feel released when the production technology and materials win the CertiPur-US seal. This non-profit organization, CertiPur-US, ensures that all the foam under their observation is the best in the USA, made without Ozon depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants, hazardous heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates and little Volcanic Organic Compound. Simply put, the CertiPur-US foam is safe for your health.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant: The inner core is made of down alternative material. In order words, you are free from allergy.
- Proprietary Inner-fill Shredded Visco Elastic Material: The Patented Visco Elastic Material can absorb all motions and therefore, ensure your comfort. Additionally, this filling is very well ventilated. It’s good for those who have to suffer from night sweat.
- High Thread-Count Bamboo/Polyester Blend Cover: This great feature accelerates the ventilation. High air flow stimulates the vaporization of moisture and thus, alleviate the growth of dangerous bacteria. The bamboo cover also resists the risk of hypoallergenic and dust mite. In a nutshell, this environment-friendly material will protect your health and ensure full nightly rests.
- Patent Pending Adjustable Pillow Design: The customizable pillow allows you to personalize for your needs.
30-night sleep trial: A good company is confident of their products. Why don’t you order a refundable risk-free pillow today? There’s nothing to lose.
- Easy to care – machine washable: Though the cover is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistance, we still need to clean the pillow regularly. It’s impossible to be completely free from bacteria and dirt. In a nutshell, this feature is necessary.
- 5-year Warranty: COOP Home Goods guarantees that their pillow will not go flat within five years. Otherwise, the manufacturer will take charge of replacing a new one.
- Good down pillow for the price
- The pillow package should include extra foam in case the customer body size is too big.
- There are some rude customers on Amazon who claimed that the pillow isn’t firm enough to keep their neck straight throughout the night.
- We think the best solution is the pillow distributor should include the feature of measuring the body size of their customers and then provide the suitable amount of foam attached to the full pillow package. .
- To avoid the risk of counterfeit products, make sure to check “SOLD BY” Seller name, the genuine pillows are sold by MARLOW’S MERCANTILE.
Click Button Below To Check Price On Amazon
2. For Back Sleepers: Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow
If you are a back sleeper, congratulation!
According to a recent study by Harvard Medical University, the type above of sleeper is likely to stay free from neck and back pain.
However, the Savasana pose is the culprit of snoring and sleep apnea in case you don’t choose your pillow wisely.
As illustrated above, a proper pillow for back sleepers must have the under-neck part higher than under-head one. This is the fundamental rule.
Beside the COOP Home Goods product above, which is also good for back sleepers, we highly recommend you to choose the Sleep Innovation Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow as a loyal companion in your sleep
- Ergonomic design for supporting your neck, back and shoulder: As you can see, the appearance in the form of waves which perfectly fit most of the body contours. The particular shape prevents the spinal cord from being compressed or squeezed. Therefore, the pillow will surely help you release all kinds of pain related to the wrong sleeping position. Good news is the manufacturers offer a broad range of sizes that fit different contours.
- Sure Temp Memory Foam: Most of memory foam types make you hot during the night, but the Sure Temp one doesn’t. Like the product from COOP Home Goods, this pillow will set you free from unpleasant night sweat as well as eliminate the risk of mildew and bacteria buildup.
- Made in the USA: Sleep Innovations is a well-known brand from the USA. They dedicated to providing the best bedding stuff. Their 5-year warranty policy against defects or flattening products proved how grave and passionate they are in the industry
- This product is designed for side and back sleepers, not appropriate to the stomach sleepers.
- This best pillow for back sleepers is not as firm as the previous versions.
Click Button Below To Check Price On Amazon
3. For Stomach Sleepers: Slim Sleeper Memory Foam
Among all sleeping potions, the stomach one Stomach sleepers are likely to suffer neck, shoulders and back pain. Some will get trouble with respiration, indigestion, and heartburn. Good news is stomach sleepers will be released from these annoying problems by the best pillows for stomach sleepers.
Pillows for Stomach Sleepers must have the ability to support their users as well as a thick pillow. Additionally, the thickness of stomach sleeper pillow is required to be approximately 3 inches for a majority of body sizes.
DC Labs has wonderfully invented a set of pillows which can satisfy the needs of stomach sleepers. Among these products, the Slim Sleeper Memory Foam is considered as the best Stomach Sleeper Pillow ever
- Low profile, the thickness measures about 3 inches – reasonable for the majority of stomach sleepers. Robust and comfortable Memory Foam Support, there’s no need to wake up at night to fluff your pillow anymore. This pillow is considered the best firm down pillow.
- Hypoallergenic Memory Foam: Stomach Sleepers often find it difficult to breathe during the night, especially when they choose the pillow too soft and thick. Their nose and mouth will be covered by padding. The 3-inch thin profile will make the respiration easier. Additionally, the memory foam resists allergenic factors as well as bacteria, mildew. You are safe from natural dangers.
- Removable and washable cover: Although the inner fill is resistant to bacteria and fungus, it’s necessary to wash the lid regularly to minimize the risk of this creature buildup as well as keeping the pillow clean and fresh for an excellent nightly rest.
- The inner case is not washable. This characteristic might be good news for the others, but I prefer a pillow which can be washable. There’s nothing perfect. Although the DC Labs claimed that their pillow cover is bed bugs proof, it’s still affected by bacteria and fungus in the long term.
- Moderate ventilation. For those who suffer from sweats, this pillow might be a bit unpleasant due to the inner solid memory foam. However, the soothing cotton cover will alleviate the heat buildup and remain calm during the night.
- Not appropriate to those who prefer twisting, turning or bunching the pillow up around other parts of the body
Click Button Below To Check Price On Amazon
4. For Neck Pain: Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
A majority of the victims misunderstand the culprits who are often the mattress and wrong sleeping positions.
The actual culprit should be your pillow.
The wrong pillow will cause the bend of our neck which is made of 7 tiny pieces of bones to cover the vital central nerves. The misalignment of your neck or your spine will lead to the compression and twist of the nerves. Neck pain becomes a particular outcome.
If you are suffering from neck pain, I highly recommend you to change the pillow right away to prevent the situation from getting worse.
There are a wide variety of pillows on the market, but the Mediflow Waterbase Pillow For Neck Pain is the only one who can cure the pain of your neck.
A clinical study at John Hopkins University has proven that the Mediflow Water Pillow was the best in the sleeping time length, sleep interruptions, time to get back to sleep, the quality of sleep and the reduction of neck pain.
How does the pillow work?
The pillows above are not flexible although the inner cores are made from the high-end types memory foam.
However, the Mediflow Pillow possesses an entirely different inner core – water.
As we all know, water has the less viscosity among liquids worldwide. When we move our head, the water will automatically respond to the new sleep position. The alignment of our spine is guaranteed throughout the night.
Additionally, users can adjust the level of water inside the pillow to fit their needs.
- Fluid movement for total neck and spine support
- 100% Cotton Cover
- Hypoallergenic Materials: Polyester Fiber
- Made in the USA: by a 20-year experienced company, trusted by more than 4 million clients.
- Easy to wash and dry
- Adjustable sizes: the level of water can be modified to fit their users’ body size
- 30-day money back guarantee
A bit heavier than the common down or down alternative pillows. It spends the time to get used to it.
The manual instruction is quite complicated. Improper preparation will cause unpleasant sloshing due to the air pocket inside the pillow
Click Button Below To Check Price On Amazon
5. Best Duck Down Pillows: Pinzon Hypoallergenic White Duck Down Pillow
Front and foremost, it’s necessary to make a comparison between duck vs. goose down.
Goose down is more valuable than duck down regarding marketing and advertising. According to IDFL, the global leader in filled textile testing, goose down and duck down all have the same insulation ability. The only differences between them are the fill power, odor, and price.
Regarding the fill power, goose down tends to be better because the geese size is greater than ducks. For that reasons, to produce a high fill power bedding product, manufacturers tend to use the goose down instead of duck’s although they all offer the same insulation level. This fact makes people think the goose down is better than duck down in all perspectives.
The odor is also a problem. Although the thorough cleaning and treatment process eliminates most of this odor, sensitive clients still feel that slight difference. Ducks are apparently slung lower than the geese. In other words, duck’s belly and chest will contact with the ground more frequently.
Thanks to these upshots mentioned above make the goose down price greater than duck down’s.
In a nutshell, duck down pillow will be cheaper than goose down ones but remain the same comfort and insulation.
One of the well-known duck down pillow on the market is the luxury, best down travel pillow Pinzon Hypoallergenic White Duck Down Pillow
- Made in the USA and imported: We’ve already known how famous Pinzon bedding products manufacturer is. Most of their products have gained a long-standing reputation for elegant style, craftsmanship, and great value.
- White down pillow with removable cover provides medium density: good for back sleepers.
- 400-Thread-Count Cotton striped dobby cover: durable and heavy-duty cover. We all don’t want to change our pillows regularly after a few months.
- Single chamber construction with 18 ounces white down, 550 fill power: soft, fluffy and breathable, prevent from heat buildup during the night, vaporize all moisture to minimize the risk of dangerous bacteria and fungus. Single chamber design increases the firmness of the internal core or greater head support.
- Hypoallergenic: The biggest problem of duck down products is the allergens. Fortunately, this recommended pillow has passed the industry’s most rigid sanitization methods to get rid of impurities.
- Machine washable and dryable.
- 100% cotton shell, 75% white down/25% down fiber fill
This pillow is good for the side sleepers. For the other types of sleepers, it’s necessary to choose the appropriate pillows according to the above recommendations
Click Button Below To Check Price On Amazon
6. Best Goose Down Pillows: Snuggle Soft 600 Goose Down Pillow Standard Size
￼Goose down pillow often possesses such as tremendous fill power up to 800. They are also pricier than the duck down and feather pillow. One of the best goose down pillows is the Snuggle Soft 600 Fill Power Goose Down Pillow
- Optimum materials: 600 Fill Power Hungarian White Goose Down is wrapped by 340 thread count 100% Long-staple Egyptian cotton. The cover is made from pearl white sateen which will get you feel as if a 5-star resort pillow. Thanks to these luxurious and high-quality materials, the Down and Feather company’s product is very soft and light.
- Elegant design: the pearl white sateen woven cover are firmly held by a double row stitch around the perimeter and decorated by a satin corded edge.
- 30-night money back guarantees: made by well-known manufacturer Snuggle Soft, whose headquarter is located in the USA. They are ready to refund in case you don’t get satisfied with the quality and the fluffiness of this high-end pillow.
- Hypoallergenic: All of the goose down are well cleaned by the most rigid sanitization system, and therefore, all the impurities are all eliminated.
- Epic “perfect pillow policy”: this is the greatest advantage that a pillow manufacturer has ever offered. During the first year, the pillow will be complimentarily adjusted to keep it perfect condition
- This product is not machine washable. This disadvantage exists in all genuinely natural down and feather pillow.
- Very expensive. However, this product is considered as the top-rated down pillow ever
7. Best Synthetic Down Pillow: Heavenly Down Allergy Pillow By Queen Anne Pillow Co.
In case you have a tight budget but still desire soft and fluffy feeling that a down pillow creates, a synthetic down pillow is a perfect option.
Synthetic down alternative materials come with greater benefits than the traditional down and feather: Better comfort and ventilation, free from impurities, hypoallergenic, washable and easy to care and economical.
For those reasons, there’s a significant increase in demand of this down alternative pillows.
Among all the best synthetic down pillows on the market, the Heavenly Down Allergy Pillow by Queen Anne Pillow Co. is rated as the top.
- Exclusive Down Alternative: The pillow proudly possesses all the high-end synthetic down’s benefits – Hypoallergenic, Dust Mite and Mildew resistance, light weight, machine washable, easy to care, excellent ventilation, sound insulation. The little friction between each individually spun fiber allows the filling to move freely throughout the pillow. In order words, you will feel as soft, fluffy, comfortable as a good natural down pillow.
- Trusted by the biggest hotels in the world such as the Mariott, New York Palace, Hilton Hotels, Prince Resorts Hawaii and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. This claim alone has proven how awesome this product is. You can purchase the Queen Anne
- Pillow for your welcoming guest room at home. Your guess will surely get up refreshed and ready to get the most out of their days.
- A wide range of fill powers and sizes: soft and medium for either stomach or back sleepers, medium, and solid fill are suitable for over-tall people. The Even Couple will have the attractive Jumbo size.
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Not yet
8. Royal Hotel Goose Down Pillow: Royal Hotel’s Down Pillow – 500tc 100% Cotton
Although the aforementioned excellent Queen Anna pillows are widely chosen by a number of famous luxurious hotels and resorts, some hotel owners still prefer the good goose down pillows due to the sense of luxury that they bring to us.
The best hotel quality goose down pillow title is honored to the Royal Hotel’s Down Pillow – 500TC 100% Cotton
- 100% Luxury Down Pillows 500TC Cotton Cover: Heavy-duty and durable
- 750 Fill Power and 35 oz fill, 90% Down Ratio, 10% smaller feather: the Rich sensation of feathers without any poking, luxurious goose down fill this Luxury down pillow for incredible comfort. 750 Fill Power gives you the proper head and neck support level hotel, keep your spine straight throughout the night.
- Edged with double silky piping for a clean finish.
- Not yet
1. Feather and down pillow washing instruction
Make sure to always put two pillows together inside the washing machine to keep the household appliance balance. Choose cold water instead of warm or hot in order to avoid the fabric shrinkage. Then, apply the highest speed to get rid of all water inside as well as add one more rinse time to kick all the soap out. What about soap? Choose the one with no additives. (Read more)
2. Down and feather pillow drying instruction
Use cold wind to blow the pillow. This temperature can prevent the shrinkage from happening. One rule of thumb, dry the pillow completely because with just a small amount of moisture left inside can ruin the entire pillow due to the development of bacteria and mildew. A sign which indicates the finishing of the drying process is the termination of clumping or odor.
3. Pillow Fluffing guide
To keep your pillow fluffy every time washing, make sure to use the low-temperature water and the wind in combination with a pack of 3 tennis balls put inside the washing machine. This rule can be applied to other pillow and feather products
4. Real Time to wash your pillows?
To extend the lifespan of your pillow, it’s recommended to clean them every six months. (Read more)
Choose the best down pillows appropriate to your needs is not an easy task. Every pillow above brand has gained a massively strong reputation for high-quality, heavy-duty, durable and excellent products. However, the minority of customers still receive some deceived or damaged products due to the bad management, bad transportation process, errors in the production line.
Therefore, the tactic to minimize these risks is to choose the distributors or brands which offer the money back policy or long term warranty.
We hope via this detailed article; you will find the right companion for your sleep.